How Can I Participate in the 5K Butterfly Run/Walk?
Due to the spread of COVID-19 and the safety of our community, we cancelled the 2020 Butterfly 5K Walk/Run originally scheduled for May 16, 2020.
We had over 300 runners/walkers of all ages participate in the 2019 Butterfly 5K. Additionally, we are so proud to have raised $75,000 over the past three Butterfly Runs! While all of that money has gone to good use, we cannot wait to raise even more this year!
We are so excited about next year’s 5th Annual 5K Butterfly Run/Walk. We hope to raise a total of $50,000 to donate towards synovial sarcoma research and the families of patients battling synovial sarcoma. Our sights are set high, which is why we would love to see you and your family out at our 5K! Here’s the information for this year’s run:
- When? 5K Butterfly Run/Walk will be in May 2021, begining at 8 a.m.
- Where? Aquesta Bank Headquarters in Cornelius, NC, but really anywhere as a virtual runner/walker
- How? Clink the link for registration! The link will be added 2021
- Sponsorships? Are you or your company interested in sponsoring one or all of our events? Contact us NOW to learn more about our sponsorship opportunities!
- This link is directly to our 5K Facebook Event Page where you can find the most up-to-date information about this event and sponsors. https://www.facebook.com/butterflyrun/
Please check back regularly for updates on our next event!
We are always looking for volunteers to help us out before and on the day of the race. Check out our volunteer opportunities or contact us now to learn how you can get involved with The Lauren Marie Kimsey Foundation!
What Is the 5K Butterfly Run/Walk?
The annual 5K Butterfly Run/Walk is a race held in honor of Lauren Marie Kimsey, who lost her life to synovial sarcoma on September 10, 2016. Each year, the race begins with the release of 400 live butterflies. In the past, we’ve had fun activities like live music, a butterfly tent, animals from Zootastic, face painting, food vendors, and much more! Bring out the entire family, have fun, and support a good cause!
The Lauren Marie Kimsey Foundation hosts the 5K in order to raise money to fund synovial sarcoma research and help the families of those suffering from this disease. Specifically, we donate money to The Levine Cancer Institute, a high-profile cancer center that is committed to providing outstanding patient care and successfully treating cancers.
Synovial sarcoma is an incredibly rare form of cancer mostly occurring in adolescents, which means synovial sarcoma suffers often need to travel long distances to get the care they need. By donating to The Levine Cancer Institute, we hope to support their synovial sarcoma research program and make it easier for those with synovial sarcoma to have access to treatment.